Monday, 3 June 2013

This week...

So this week was a lot better than the past few weeks. I loved this week actually. First off, my comps name is Elder Goncalves, and is from Santa Caterina. A city I hear has the best beach in the world. haha. But only him and his 2 brothers are members of the church. His parents are strong in another church and don't like the church very much. But he is a lot more motivated then a lot of missionaries just because of that. He is 21 years old and is a really chill down to earth guy. I will really enjoy the next 5 weeks here. This is the last transfer of President Tavares... I am kinda depressed about that because president is seriously a very inspired man. I will really miss him and sister also... But anyways...

My week...
It started out with me and Elder Gutemberg cleaning up all the crap that Elder finati and Elder Anderson left us with... Dishes, dirty floor, and all that fun stuff. We did that then went out finding new investigators. It was a pretty chill day, then we came home and made Chocolate Torta. It was SOOOO GOOD. Its super easy too! I will have to make it one day for you guys. But Wednesday we got our new comps and went to work. Elder Goncalves is very excited to work and we found some pretty great people to teach, including a friend of Maria (the one we baptized last week). I found out this week that I have been an answer to a lot of peoples prayers this week, and I would like to share some of these stories with you guys.

First we were walking down the road, after visiting Maria and needed to find new investigators to teach. We had none, and none with a chance of going to church or nothing. So what happened was we just decided to walk, when randomly I just started clapping my hands. I was near this house and just decided to knock. I didn't know why until after. This lady looked a little in shock. We got talking to her and she said that her Husband had died not too long ago. She entered into depression and was super sad. She had knelt down and prayed and asked for comfort, then two missionaries showed up at her front door and taught her how she could live with him again. These crazy stories keep amazing me no matter what. She went to church this week and she was laughing and enjoyed every moment there in church. She LOVED it she said. We are going to help her this week as much as we can to help work towards baptism soon.

Another lady in our branch went to the church this week and started to clean. She was alone and it is a normal thing for her she said. She was cleaning and all the way up till 11 o clock, she started feeling as if someone was in the building with her, and just felt terrible. She tried to ignore it but felt terrible. She finally went to go look, but didn't see or find anyone and still felt terrible. She decided to say a prayer and she said that within 5 minutes only, we arrived. She said she looked at me, (said I was just beaming I was smiling so big) and began to cry. She then felt a peace and felt comforted like she had asked for. She told us just how thankful she was for us and she knew her prayers were answered. I was privileged to be a tool in answering their prayers. It's just is a great feeling to see these people and the faith they have. I don't know why I do some things that I do on the mission here, but some things are just indescribable, and I am not kidding. I am learning to try and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost more and more, and am noticing a difference in my life, as I can bless others through being an instrument in the Lords hands.

There was also a member who took us out this week and I saw this man's faith tested like no one else I have ever seen. First, he took a pay cut of 1,000 reais per month to be able to go to church. He is not doing too well financially but he wanted to leave with us to help us find people to teach. He came by and picked us up in the center of the city then we headed out to the outer part of the city, where his friend lived. We started driving but he needed to put gas in his car. He got there and got out of the car, clenched his fist with the money inside, and went to go give it to the gas attendant to put in the gas. He gave the guy 2 reais, which is about 1 dollar. The guys started making fun of him but he just let it go, asking them if they could please put it in there. He got back in the car really heartbroken from the looks of it and realized what had happened. He put his last 2 reais that he could for gas, to take the missionaries to teach people. They walked to church even this week because they didn't have any more money to drive. It was one of those experiences I felt super sad, but I was so happy seeing someone with that much faith. I hope to have faith like that one day. I am sure he will be blessed and that is without a doubt.

I love the mission here and I am really excited for this transfer. We are working hard here and I am having some very good experiences here on the mission. This is where I need to be and that is for sure.

I love you all and hope all is well in the states. I heard a ton of Tornados passed through some cities there and destroyed a lot. Hope all is well for those people though.

Take care!
Ate mais!

Elder Millett