| Look what happened to my belt!...haha. Good thing I have one more! |
Wow... what a week. First off, our baptism at the last minute disappeared! I was so upset yesterday having to look for her the entire day. It really did work on my foot walking way out to her house not only once, twice, or 5 times... but ten! Yeah that was our day. We finally found her at 7 and she was really sad. She just got a little freaked out at the idea of baptism and she ended up not going to church. She felt terrible she said though and wants to try again for this week. We are going to shoot for the baptism this week during the week. It makes it a lot easier on us.
Nothing seemed to go right this week. It was one of those really frustrating weeks after a great week talking with my family. One, it rained a TON! for 2 days straight the rain just did not stop. I was so upset. I love rain, but to work is the worst. Being soaking wet that no one wants to let us in. No one answers. No one is on the street to talk to. It's just miserable. We had a pretty fun time with it though in the end. On our way home we ran through every puddle possible and just got soaking wet because we could. haha. It was enjoyable.
So some random stories... there seem to be lots of doors here that just don't want to stay shut. One in particular... there is a door at a members house for the bathroom that just doesn't want to stay shut. There is nothing to put in front of the door so what I always end up doing is stretching one leg out just to use the bathroom. I had been doing this for 4 weeks at least. This last week, idiot Cameron realized that there is a little knob that you need to turn and it keeps it shut... Yeah... I felt pretty dumb.
We went to an English school to talk with the people there about the US. We were invited by the teacher and she was really excited to see us. I got really excited too to speak my own language again. haha. We taught the first lesson in English and it is really tough to do. haha. But I did basically the WHOLE THING. I was really happy in the end when she brought out American cookies for us that I haven't had in a long while. It was super good. I ate almost all of them! haha.
My comp this week had 3 scares thinking they were gun shots. He refuses all of them but here they are.... First, last night there were fireworks that blew up out of nowhere and he ducked down lower then low. haha. Second, a car backfired. Third, (Elder Gutemberg got really scared on this one too but) the lightning struck on the road next to us and the sound was so loud. Even if he denies it, he covered his head and ducked every single time. It was so funny. He also this week went to the store and one of the ladies asked him.... what are you guys doing lost here from the states here in Medianeiras? He responded, I don't know. haha. Everyone laughed so hard and asked if he had forgot his purpose here. haha. But it's just so much fun having a new missionary. Get some good funny stories out of it.
This week one thing I got noticing. I see so many people on the street who think they are happy. Doing tons of bad things in their lives, thinking that it is a FUN thing to do. Smoking, drinking, partying, doing all this stuff. I got thinking about my life and how being a missionary has affected me. These people act as if they are more happy then I am because I walk around the whole day talking about God and his plan for us while they do these terrible things. This week, like many before also, I got to see the affects of what happens with this people. Kids die, people end up with nothing but sadness, destroy their bodies that God so graciously gave us, and so many other things. It makes me think of the scripture that says wickedness never was happiness. I don't know if I have shared this already but when one of the apostles talked about the words Pleasure and Happiness: pleasure is for a moment, and happiness is forever. I know I will have true happiness for what I am doing in this moment here in Brasil, and I would never trade it for the world. The choices people make, make me really sad. The only way we can really have happiness is to live the principles of the gospel, and always remember HIM first. Not last. But what I want to say is to always remember the choices you make now, because they don't just ruin one day, or the other, but can ruin an eternity of happiness in the end.
I love you all so much and that isn't ever going to change. One more week gone and looking at how much time I have now makes me nervous. Have I done everything that I was supposed to do, or did I not do it all. But as for now, I got a lot of work ahead of me still and will always try my best.
Ate mais
Elder Millett