Monday, 11 February 2013

Foz do iguaçu!

It's pretty darn awesome here actually. I got here after a long time sitting on that bus... 15 hours to be exact... It was TERRIBLE! But first, my area. Really small but a really strong area that has a lot of potential! This area is really touristy because of the waterfalls here. It's really cool, and I have already gotten to talk to people in English from Japan, Germany, England and tons of other parts. I am yet to meet an American here though... But all in all, this area is really cool. But pretty dangerous it sounds like. So you saw already, my area is the LAST area on the boarder of Paraguay, brazil and Argentina. It's pretty cool. But because of this, they have a lot of gun and drug trafficking in our area, but as you know, I will be safe no matter what!

Anyways, my companion. He is Elder Finati, 19 years old. He comes from a family being born in the church but his mom and dad divorced, and lives on his own with his sister. He is a professional fighter in jujitsu (fighting style) and has won 3 titles in São Paulo and one in Brasil. That's a pretty cool fact if you ask me. He has come from a pretty rough life in São Paulo but is still a super happy guy always. He speaks some English because he studied with his dad, who is a teacher. His mom is a paramedic. Is that detailed enough?

Anyways, I had some pretty fun experiences including funny contacts, bible bash and just random experiences here already.

1. We were on the city bus here riding when my companion did a contact. The guy was really tall and my comp spoke to him saying Tudo Bem? He then said no hablo Portuguese. My comp asked what other languages he spoke too. This guy was clearly trying to avoid my companion. The guy said English also and my comp goes... well perfect, this guy right here speaks English. The guy was shocked and thought, oh crap.... haha. But I did a contact in English which is so tough to do. No joke. Try it someday.... after doing it for a year in Portuguese! haha.

2. My comp is so funny. He did a contact walking up (and still continues to do this) saying, hey we are the missionaries but this guy right here, he is famous in Foz do Iguaçu. They always ask why, looking at me like REALLY?! But then he has me say why I am famous. I am famous because I have the authority to baptize people in the name of Christ. haha. It makes me laugh and breaks the ice with a lot of people surprisingly. He is really good at talking with lots of people. I will be talking to everyone in no time.

3. Cockroaches still exist here unfortunately.... haha.

4.One of the members has a daughter 7 years old, and the other 4. We said a prayer to start eating and at the beginning of the prayer I saw the 7 year old put her hands on her sister's head. I was thinking what the heck is going on. haha. I had to open my eyes during the prayer to see her, like she was giving her a blessing and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen. I died laughing. She said she saw her dad doing it and wanted to try it.

It is really cool around here for real. Really hot and humid though. The other day it hit 48 Celsius and its supposed to be 0 degrees during the winter. I can't wait!!! I am so excited for that time. From the looks of it I will still be in foz. Oh we also have air conditioning in our room that we sleep! It is WONDERFUL!!!! The members here are awesome with over 100 people every week. They even bought us a pizza the other night.

But that's a really cool story to hear about dad. I have seen some stuff just knowing I am being watched over. I know that my family is being watched over also. I have 0 doubts about that. Just like yesterday, we were walking through a favela (slum)  when a guy just randomly started screaming at us getting in our face sounding like he wanted to kill us. He just randomly stopped and looked like he got really dizzy and wasn't dizzy before. The lord does a lot for us, even if they seem like little miracles, they really are miracles that we need to thank Him for.

I love you! Hope all is going well in the states. It makes me think a lot about home here in Foz. Maybe because all the tourists.... haha. But I have made a goal here, I will learn Spanish within the next 2 transfers here. I want to be tri lingual!

Até Mais!
Com amor,
Elder Millett