Monday, 8 April 2013

Finally!


So this week, we finally made it to our house here! It's a pretty nice house with nothing in it. We won't get everything till this next week. Dresser, table to study, SINK! haha. We literally have nothing in the house. Its super ghetto but a lot of fun and a nice house. So I am here with my companion, Elder Finati and Elder Gutemberg here in the house. We walk at least an hour to get to lunch every day then cross the city one more time to get to our appointments (our area) haha. But it's so worth it. I love the members here and the people are excited to help us after 4 years without missionaries. This city is really well off. All of the houses are really well kept and there only exist 2 favelas (ghetto places) in this city. That is a record. haha. All the houses look brand new and really well kept which normally in Brasil doesn't happen. But more about it.... there isn't really much. haha

So general conference... Yeah didn't get to see almost anything. It was kinda frustrating. They had it in our church building here but it was streamed through the internet. You know how frustrating that can be. So we watched the first one in Portuguese (my comp was mad) and then the second on a small computer. We didn't get to watch either of the others. We had to choose lunch or conference. Yeah, your son chose conference! Of course... Nope it was food. They had a huge churrasco for us and it was super good. We ate a lot. But after that, we went to go get our investigators. We got 8 people to come to church after only teaching 2 days in our area. The Zone leaders here have been kinda getting on our case for our lack of numbers (even though we weren't in our area) so we showed them. haha. The next closest to our number was them with 3. I gotta work hard though to baptize all of them. I hope to get at least the 3 baptized this week because others have to get married, but already have a date. They were definitely prepared for us and I know that there are always people waiting for us.

But from conference what I heard, there was a part that I LOVED when he quoted something so simple. It's not good enough to just read the scriptures, but to study and to LIVE by the scriptures. I thought it was a great quote. It's one thing to read, and others to practice the things that are written.

Got a good story from the week...haha

So my companion... we were walking down the road when we realized we were lost. We pulled out the map to look what road we were on. My comp let me look for 30 seconds then didn't know where the road was so he took it. He looked for a moment and said this way! But then I realized, oh it's the opposite way (from my memory of things around. My comps really bad with directions....) But anyways. I ended up walking at least 5 feet in front of him and was getting ready to cross the road. (people were in front of us at this point so I wanted to be able to get around them). I didn't know what my companion was doing behind me but all of a sudden I heard a big BANG and crumple of the map. It was the funniest thing ever. He ran into the pole and crumpled the whole map up and everything. It was extremely funny. The very first thing he yells out was TUDO BEM TUDO BEM! [Okay. Okay] haha. My companion... reminds me of dad for some reason. He is a funny guy... haha.

But I also had some great experiences this week. I met some elect people that were just waiting for the gospel and knew it, others that really needed the help of the gospel that were looking for the house and we were guided there. Great experiences. But the experience that I would like to share with you helped me out a lot this week gain my testimony even more. While we were waiting for the conference to start we watched a few of the Mormon messages that they had. One was about the savior. I realized something as they showed the apostles and the prophet bearing living testimony of this wonderful man. Every time I heard the voice and words that they spoke, I get this feeling that really cannot be put in words. It's a testimony to me that these men are called of God, and here to help guide us. How lucky we are to have a living prophet and 12 apostles in our day to have the guidance we need in our life. I remember when Gordon B Hinckley spoke a long time back when I was young (and you probably didn't know I was even listening) we were at Aunt Melissa's house. I remember feeling that same feeling hearing his voice and at that time I didn't exactly know what it was. But I know now and it continues now, strengthening my testimony yet again, that this church is the true church on the earth today.

Te-amo muito!
I miss you all a lot!

Ate mais!
Elder Millett