Monday, 17 September 2012

Seriously where do the days and weeks go?!


Can’t say it enough, days just fly by!

First of all, congrats Aimee!!! [Aimee just got a full time teaching job.] That is wonderful to hear! Just so you know I did a little dance and my comp was here to prove I did the dance to show my excitement for you! That is seriously so so so so so so wonderful HOLMES! You will do awesome!

So first, they don’t have tortillas here at ALL. Well pretty much. No one eats them at all here but they have them. It’s a Mexi thing.

And yes it would be fun to have you come pick me up. I just thought, it would be pretty cool to have you come down maybe with Connor and he can get a little taste of mission stuff. And you know how easy customs was here...? Not hard at all. They don’t even search your bags. Not like it was for Matt it sounds like. But we will keep debating this. I presented it to members that I love here (they said COME!) and Edinea and she says you should come! Bruno wanted to meet Connor he requested. haha. But Edinea got her calling finally! She will be a Relief Society teacher for 2 weeks of the month. She is so excited! She also got permission from the area 70 here that she can go to the temple earlier than the 1 year normal wait. That is pretty cool! She just started taking the temple prep and I am SOOOO excited for her. I am jealous too because I want to go to the temple with her too!

Yes mom I am doing the things he said. [Changing out his shoes everyday.] But we walk literally over 10 miles in a day. No joke either. Especially now with two areas... Eesh. I have two pairs of shoes here. I am gonna try and get these ones re soled for only 10 dollars. Dirt cheap. We will see.
I don’t want to have you have to send another pair. It’s a lot cheaper to just buy a pair here.

Anyways, week sucked. But it was good too. First off, we are going to just cut Moises and the family. I love them SO much but they just aren’t doing the things that they should. But he just can’t stop doing stupid things. He was seeing so many blessings and he has had 3 chances to be baptized but now that he hasn’t, his life is going downhill again. We warned him about this too. He might even go to jail for 6 months now. It’s a really sad situation.

We taught a concept that literally came up out of nowhere on Monday night about focusing on the good things. I related it to what I am going through. I got thinking, the mission would be terrible if I just would focus on all that is bad on the mission. I got thinking about how I left my family, friends, don’t get to relax ever and LOTS of other things. I just got thinking about that. Then I got thinking about just one good thing, bringing others unto Christ. It outweighs EVERYTHING bad about being here. It just got me thinking I need to always be thinking about why I am here and to always remember like Gordon B Hinkley said, It’s not that BAD! I love that quote. So my thing I would hope for everyone reading this, always be thinking about the good things and don’t let the bad weigh you down! I am just worn out physically, mentally and spiritually but I still want to keep going just because I know why I am here. Life isn’t bad! It’s wonderful! :)

So lots of fun stories...and weird ones....

1. Gave a talk this week. The president asked me if I would and it was just on missionary work. I just wrote down key points and just went up and decided to be more guided to what I need to say by the spirit. It was such a better talk then I have ever given before. I talked a lot about member missionaries and it then led to the story of Emily. It was really cool because in all the other classes that’s all everyone talked about. Everyone talked about Emily Emily Emily and her getting baptized. It was really funny. Emily would like that she was the topic of conversation for the whole day at church. haha.

2. Got called Neginho this week. In direct translation, it comes to little Negro. Why would they call us that?!  Especially with Elder Halpin being the tallest white guy I have ever seen....

3. Met a Cannibal ( however you spell that) this week. We were knocking doors near our house at night when we came up to this REALLY NICE HOUSE! We clapped at the gate and the guy told us one minute then finally came out a little after. We talked to him, invited him to church and he said no, he practiced his own religion. We asked what it was and he said, Cannibalistic (which is cannibalism) and he said at his church they practice the ancient rituals of the descendants of Africa. So in other words... we have a cannibal as a neighbor.... So now we chose a new route home, which now takes us by a bunch of ´´street workers´´ as I would like to call them now that are supposed to be women, but are men. Can’t escape the weirdness here!!!

4. Another story with my talk, I was giving my talk and 5 minutes into it, 3 women just decided to feed their babies... Not with a bottle. People are just a little too open here at times and they need a law against that in public! So gross....

So that’s it for stories. We had just a terrible week that I will probably have lots more of, but it’s all good. We made pizza last night with some members and it cheered me up. haha. They LOVED it and also requested that when we come back to visit to have you make some food for them like an ´´American mom would.´´ I love the experience here and I can’t wait to share all of these experiences with you. I just never have enough time on the computer. It’s tough to explain all the wonderful and terrible things that are happening. I love it here though! Take care and always remember to smile!

Até mais!
-Elder Millett

PS. Doing wash like the pioneers is FUN! Give it a try sometime!