Monday, 11 June 2012
I almost got knocked out this week...
Thought I would make the title interesting... haha. But its true. I almost did because as I was walking I almost got knocked on the head by a avocado that fell from the tree! It was crazy and that thing was HUGE! We always walk around here and fruit is just falling off like crazy! But it had hit my backpack, so close call!
Questions first...
1. I did get my camera fixed... well sorta. I will have a camera in 2 weeks because the part is being shipped in from the US. It was a lot cheaper to fix instead of buying a new one. The cheapest a camera is here is 120 US dollars. And that's a pretty crap camera... haha. So it will be all good when I get mine back. Its worth the wait because the camera I have is over 800 reais to buy here. Crazy spendy.
But 2... haven't gotten letters because we didn't go to the mission office recently. That's because the mission office was under construction. But I did splits with the missionaries there (the secretaries) and that was nice because he was able to get two letters that came straight to the church building. So the others are waiting for me and I get them this Tuesday at zone conf. But it was sweet getting to go on splits. I got to be in Centro with all the crazy people (worse then Seattle). But it was a lot of fun! I enjoyed it a ton. The missionary that I was with Elder Neal is from Portland too. He is our new secretary for the mission it sounds like.
Well this week has been SO COLD! I loved it! It was freezing in the mornings though and I am glad I had sweats and blankets. But didn't think I would need them til I woke up and literally couldn't feel my feet. haha. But It was even a bit chilly outside today and days before that I wore a sweater. Yeah I rocked the sweater like a boss too! haha. But I liked that sweater a lot. It was even pouring down rain a lot too while we were out but it just makes me feel like I am at home. It rained every day last week! Loved it!
So another thing... a couple we were going to be able to baptize this week ended up not being married. So we had to figure out how they could get married so basically me and my comp played the wedding planner. haha. They are getting married tomorrow actually and all marriage here is a signature. That's it. So we walked into the place they do weddings and it was so funny.... you ever seen two missionaries walk in and say.... how much for a wedding? The face on the lady was priceless! haha. We then explained it wasn't for us, but for others. It made my day though. haha.
Other weird story... we were going out to eat with a member this week but were waiting for them at the restaurant. We sat in front of the place and we were just talking in English, (because we could there) and this big group of girls came up towards the place to eat also. I said, Oí, Tudo bem!? Which is Hi how are you (simple enough). One of the girls just looked at me like what the crap.... haha. But come to find out the last three girls in the group were speaking English. Come to find out it was a group that came from Florida and they didn't know any of the language so that's why I got looked at funny. We talked for a bit because its always fun to get to speak in English, and it was so weird explaining why I am here in English. Normally it's.... Nos somos missionarios (cont.) but this time I had to say it in English. It sounds so weird in English. I also tried giving my first prayer in English last night with my comp and my English is so funny! It was so hard to speak in that prayer!
Anyways, no church this past week. I don't speak til the 24th. So I got some time now. We had the special chance to see the dedication of the Manaus temple! So awesome and was such a powerful talk given by Quinten L Cook. One of the things that he said was in the respect of testimonies. It was super powerful what he said... We cannot live with God on borrowed light, but rather we need to have our own testimony that we have built through prayer and fasting to know if the word of God is true.
I loved that and made me think a lot of my life and how my testimony has grown so much more with the experiences of being here on my mission. To answer Michelle's question though from a letter I got our church meetings are pretty similar to home, just a lot less people. We have first Priesthood, then Sunday School, then we have Sacrament just as normal! Just thought I would answer that question! haha. I also found out that our church building was actually built by hand a while back by the members of this ward. That is dedication... I was impressed after I heard that.
So this week, one last thing, we have what looks like in the next 2 weeks 4 people going to be baptized. One in particular is Claudio, the dad of Luciani (who is a super awesome strong convert for 2 months) and his wife Maria De Fatima. He has had a drinking problem... But with blessings and praying and working with him he is not drinking anymore! We are so excited because we get to complete a family and give him the chance to go with his family and be sealed in the temple. I am so excited for them! We go over to his house at 6 every morning, including today, and work with him. He is doing awesome!
But I gotta get going! We are going to play ping pong and pool today at the President's house with his son, Vinicious. I am so happy and had an amazing week. I am working hard I promise, and miss you all like crazy! I love you!
Take care! and keep reading the BOOK OF MORMON! Connor don't be doubting them! I know you can all do it! I am in Jacó now (Jacob obviously) haha. But I am pushing through the language barrier!
Até Mais!
Te-amo!
Elder Millett!